I’m stealing a meme so I can keep up with posting every day I’m not at the group home.
Choose a word for each letter of your middle name (then you must tag other bloggers, one for each letter).
L: Lemons. When we were planning our wedding I had a fantastic session with our florist in which I proposed these beautiful centerpieces with lemons at the base (the bridesmaids were in sage and I wanted a fresh, summery look) and tall lilies with blooms bursting at the top. I was so excited to have lemons that I completely missed the fact that the centerpieces actually looked kind of obscene until years after the wedding. Think about it. [I tag Gail at The Love Project]
Y: Yelling. Attic Man and I have this ongoing argument about what ‘yelling’ constitutes. I maintain that ‘yelling’ can be effected by one’s tone of voice (as in, you can whisper aggressively and I’ll accuse you of yelling at me), whereas he insists that one must raise one’s voice in order to be charged with yelling. [I tag witchtrivets. Neither her name nor her blog starts with Y, but nobody's I know does and I'm curious about what her answers will be.]
N: Not Hillary. Don’t like her, never did, don’t like her wimpy ‘stance’ on the war, won’t vote for her, am dismayed that she may be the Dem. candidate. Woman or not, she is a card-carrying member of the Old Boys’ Club. [I tag AmericaN family. OK, so I'm stretching it but I really want to know what superpower she would choose.]
N: Napa Cabbage. For our stir-fry tonight. [ClemeNtine, you're it!]
1. If you could have super powers what would they be and what would you do with them? (Please feel free to be selfish, you do not have to save the world!)
Definitely invisibility. I’ve always been quite the voyeur but only because I don’t want people I’m observing to feel weird or bad about being observed. Does that make sense? In other words, I don’t get excited by the prospect of watching people go about their lives without them knowing it, I just like watching people go about their lives, period. And because saving the world was mentioned, a loaves-and-fishes superpower would be awesome. I want everyone to have enough food. It’s absurd that they don’t. Does anyone know the actual statistics on how much food we have versus how many people there are to feed? I’d like to think that if the over-privileged (me included) were to hand over a portion of their overflow everybody would have enough to eat, but I don’t know the numbers on that one. We should at least try, anyway. I’m not sure how to do that on a mass scale without superpowers.
2. Were you to find your self stranded on an island with a CD player…it could happen…what would your top 10 blogger island discs be?
1. Soundtrack to The Thomas Crowne Affair. The week it came out Attic Man and I saw it in the theatre three times.
2. U2–Joshua Tree. I stole this one from Abebech but this is my Life-CD, the one I go back to again and again, because it still speaks.
3. Alison Krauss + Union Station Live
4. anything live by Railroad Earth that contains a long version of “Seven Story Mountain” and “Cold Water” and “Bird in a House.”
5. Indigo Girls–Rites of Passages (OK, now am I really dating myself or what??)
6. Tori Amos–Little Earthquakes. I promise, I was not a lesbian in college. I haven’t bought a new CD in ten years. Can you tell?
7. Carol King–Really Rosie. I am known to hate most children’s music but this one is an exception. I regularly listen to this CD all by myself with no children around just because it is so much fun. You cannot go wrong with Maurice Sendak as your lyricist.
8. Soundtrack to Oh Brother Where Art Thou. Need I say more?
9-10. Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East.
Music I’d like to strand on an island? that whiney stuff that hipsters like.
3. If you were a smell what would it be?
There was an amazing scent at the French Manor where we went for our honeymoon. I never did find out what it was but it was this sweet, warm, summery smell that made us immediately relax. If I could be that smell for the world I would.
4. What bird would you most like to be?
A mockingbird–it just sounds like so much fun to sit on a branch and try out different voices.
6. Are there any foods that your body craves?
Are there any foods that my body DOESN’T crave? Um, no.
7. What’s your favorite time of year?
Every fall I think it’s fall and every spring I think it’s spring. Actually, it’s the beginning of each new season, when the quality of the air and light changes and takes me back to every poignant memory I have of that season.
8. What’s your favorite time of day?
I have two favorite times, one for my weekday schedule and one for my weekend, and like Abebech, they’re both reunions: on weekdays, it’s when the Snapper and I skip to the car after daycare. One day on our skip he discovered rain to his utter delight, right there before my eyes–he peered up at the umbrella in wonder at the funny sounds the rain made on the fabric and laughed. On another day he discovered crispy leaves. Soon he will discover snow. The other time is on the weekend when I come in the door from my long shift. The Snapper lets out what we call his “happy scream” as soon as the key hits the lock and runs (yes, he RUNS now!) to the door for his mama.
9. If a rest is as good as a change which would you choose?
I’m going to have to be boring and say that it entirely depends upon how tired and I am how much my life might need a change.